Psychiatric Services at Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital
Whether you are experiencing depression, anxiety or other mental health issues, our team of professionals are here to help.If you feel that you or someone you love is in danger:
Inpatient psychiatric services
Located on the Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital campus, our inpatient psychiatric services program provides comprehensive assessment and treatment for adults age 18 and over. The program includes a 20-bed secure unit that provides 24-hour nursing care as well as co-occurring treatment for people in Omaha, Council Bluffs and the surrounding Iowa communities.
Inpatient Behavioral Health Services at Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital is designed to help people who are experiencing an acute psychiatric crisis. This may involve:
- Symptoms of anxiety or depression severe enough to inhibit your ability to function
- Mania, or an altered thought process
- Risk for self-harm or harm to others
- Suicidal thoughts (e.g., depression with feelings of hopelessness)
- Suicidal attempts, thoughts or plans
- Homicidal thoughts with poor impulse control
- Psychiatric symptoms severe enough to cause bizarre, disordered behavior
- Acute worsening of chronic symptoms
Our inpatient psychiatric hospitalization program involves:
- Stabilizing the crisis that led to the hospitalization
- Providing a thorough evaluation
- Developing an individualized treatment plan
- Coordinating care in a warm, supportive, and safe environment.
Our inpatient psychiatric services program provides these services and assessments:
- Short-term acute inpatient psychiatric treatment for individuals 18 years and older
- Co-occurring treatment (dual diagnosis) for individuals experiencing a psychiatric disorder who also have a substance abuse/chemical dependency problem
- Group therapy and family support
- Medication stabilization and management
- ECT for psychiatric conditions not responding to medications
- Recreational therapy
- Discharge and aftercare planning
Our Inpatient Psychiatric Service Unit is staffed by a board-certified physician who is trained in adult psychiatry and co-occurring disorders. Other members of our team include:
- S.Pirzada Sattar, MD - Medical Director
- Social worker
- CADC (certified alcohol/drug counselor)
- Recreational therapist
- A team of qualified and caring mental health nurses
Referrals may be made by physicians, psychologists, social workers, mental health professionals, family members, friends or you can also self-refer. The decision regarding admission is made by a psychiatrist and all information is completely confidential. Referrals can be made 24 hours a day.
We accept most insurance, including Medicaid and Medicare.
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital Psychiatric services also provide community education services. If you would like to book a presentation on mental health for your organization or health fair, call (712) 396-7703 or e-mail JEHpsych@nmhs.org.If you feel that you or someone you love is in danger:
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital Psychiatric Services
933 E. Pierce St.
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
To call the Psychiatric Services Unit directly, call (712) 396-6044.
To reach Dr. Sattar’s outpatient practice, please contact Inroads to Recovery at (402) 932-2248.