Methodist Jennie Edmundson Family Birthing Center
Nothing brings joy like bringing a baby into the world.
When you and your baby are ready for that special day, our Family Birthing Center will offer you amenities and choices to ensure the safest and most comfortable delivery possible. At Methodist Jennie Edmundson, we believe in individualized, family-centered care.
Your comfort and safety
We consider the safety of our moms and babies extremely important. One way we keep babies safe is by ensuring that every labor and delivery nurse at Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital is certified in neonatal resuscitation and Basic Life Support (BLS).
BLS-certified nurses are specially trained to provide the clinical interventions necessary for urgent treatment of cardiac arrest and other medical emergencies of pregnant or newly-delivered women.
To assess your baby's well-being during labor, electronic fetal heart monitoring is available administered by nurses who have been certified in electronic fetal heart monitoring. Our technology allows providers to remotely monitor your baby's heart rate and strength and duration of your contractions.
Jacuzzi tubs and on-call anesthesiology
Having a delivery that is as comfortable as possible is important to us. At our Birthing Center, women have the option to experience natural childbirth without medication. To help laboring moms, we offer Jacuzzi tubs if you would like to use them for extra comfort during labor. We also have anesthesiology on-call 24 hours a day, if you wish, to ensure the most comfortable delivery possible.
After your baby is born, we can provide care for babies 34 weeks gestation and up in our Level II nursery. Even if you deliver by C-section, we will allow your healthy infant to stay with you as much as possible to promote skin-to-skin contact.
When you arrive
We offer bedside check-in. When you arrive to deliver your baby, you are taken to your private labor, delivery room and recovery room where you can be checked in from the comfort of your bed. You will labor, deliver, recover and spend your post-partum time (LDRP) all in the same room with the same caring staff.
Our labor, delivery, and recovery rooms are designed with enough space to accommodate an entire code team with necessary medical equipment on hand but out of sight.
Our private rooms offer:
- Soft colors, indirect lighting, oak wood, rocking chairs
- Wireless Internet access
- Television with DVD in every room
- Private bathroom
- Whirlpool bathtubs and shower in each room
More reasons to deliver your baby at our birthing center
We know that having a baby will most likely be one of your most special lifetime experiences. We want to help you make memories that will last a lifetime by providing:
- A special dinner for you and a guest to celebrate the birth of your baby.
- A 15-minute post-partum massage by a licensed massage therapist from Methodist Jennie Edmundson's Physical Therapy Department.
- A designated Quiet Time from 2 - 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. - midnight each day to promote rest for moms. Babies can return to the nursery if the mom wants to take full advantage of quiet time.
- The option for mothers to stay as guests in the hospital with their baby if the baby needs to stay for additional care after mom has been discharged.