For COVID-19 and vaccination updates, view our information for the community. If you're experiencing symptoms, call your primary care provider.
May 3, 2021
Dear Resident and Families of Dunklau Gardens:
This letter comes to you as the CDC and CMS have provided NEW guidance for long term care facilities as it relates to routine testing guidance, source control during visitation for fully vaccinated residents and visitors, and source control during communal dining and group activities. Dunklau Gardens is anxious to implement this guidance, but it does take some organization as we are obligated to ensure compliance and verification of vaccination for staff, residents, and now visitors. Please read through the below guidance of these changes within each category to assist us through this process and to ensure we continue to be compliant with State, CDC and CMS regulatory requirements.
- Routine testing is no longer required for fully vaccinated staff when the facility is NOT in outbreak testing regardless of the county positivity rate. (Fully vaccinated refers to a person who is > 2 weeks post second dose in a 2 series vaccine). Routine testing IS required for any staff member that is unvaccinated according to the positivity rate in the community, just as it has been previously. This guidance applies to Essential Caregivers.
- Testing would be required for vaccinated or un-vaccinated staff if the facility is in an “outbreak” meaning a positive case with a resident of the facility or a staff member. We would then POC test every 3-7 days for 14 days to ensure no further positive cases.
- POC testing will also be done on any staff member or resident that is presenting with any Covid like symptoms regardless of vaccination status.
Visitation and Source Control Guidance
- Visitation must be controlled by scheduling an appointment for visitation by calling 402-727-3577. We will do our best to accommodate your requests, but we are required to limit the number of visitors in the facility at any given point in time.
- Essential Caregivers have a specified timeframe for their visitation and we ask that you stick with those set visitation times unless otherwise discussed ahead of time.
- If visitation is designated to a private resident room or a designated visitation room and the visitor and resident are both fully vaccinated, they may choose to have close contact and are not required to wear source control (mask). Both are still required to do appropriate hand hygiene and must mask when moving throughout the facility when entering and exiting.
- Visitors WILL BE ASKED if they have been fully vaccinated and if they have a copy of their vaccination card so that we don’t have to ask this at every visit. A visitor “may” refuse to answer this question, but they will be required to mask the entirety of their visit.
- For unvaccinated visitors, they will be required to adhere to all core principles of hand hygiene, masking and social distancing while in the facility and at all times including their visitation.
Communal Dining and Activities
- Fully vaccinated residents can participate in communal dining without source control (masking) or physical distancing. We will return to full table dining without barriers for all residents that are fully vaccinated.
- Unvaccinated residents will continue to dine with 2 per table/barrier dining and ensuring 6’ distance between residents to ensure source control. We do have very few residents that are unvaccinated at this time.
- Fully vaccinated residents that are participating in activities may choose to have close contact and to unmask during the activity. Masking is still required when moving throughout the facility.
We will be modifying how we greet visitors at the arrival of their visit to ensure all visitors understand the new guidance and are well educated on the parameters that apply during the entirety of their visit. We want to make every visit special while still adhering to the obligations imposed upon the facility to ensure the safety of our residents and staff. We appreciate your support and will be posting this communication at the facility entry and on our website for others to read. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Jayma Brown, BSN, MSHA
Director of Nursing, Dunklau Gardens
Rachel Reiman, PT, MSHA, LNA
Administrator, Dunklau Gardens