For COVID-19 and vaccination updates, view our information for the community. If you're experiencing symptoms, call your primary care provider.

Methodist in the Media

Nebraska Governor Extends Limit on Elective Surgeries Through October

Published: Oct. 1, 2021

Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts on Wednesday announced that the state is extending a directed health measure that limits elective surgeries and procedures.

It postpones inpatient surgeries that can wait four weeks or more without substantially changing a patient’s outcome. The measure has been in place since late August when Ricketts declared a hospital staffing emergency.

Methodist Health System was among area health systems that had announced a limit prior to the state’s health measure.

Dr. Garnet Blatchford, chief medical officer at Methodist Hospital and Methodist Women’s Hospital, told The World-Herald Wednesday that some surgeries canceled last month will now be canceled again.

People who are planning to have surgery may get a phone call with fairly short notice to postpone their procedure, she said.

“This involves a lot of extra work on nursing that’s already pretty stressed and pretty tired of the whole pandemic,” Blatchford said.

Omaha World-Herald: Ricketts extends limit on elective surgeries through October