For COVID-19 and vaccination updates, view our information for the community. If you're experiencing symptoms, call your primary care provider.
Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital Volunteers
At Methodist Jennie Edmunson Hospital, we value our volunteers. Our adult and teen volunteers serve the hospital seven days a week daily by providing support that complements the services we provide for our patients, their families and the community. For over 50 years, Jennie Edmundson volunteers have given selflessly of their time, creating a culture where compassion and excellence come together to make a meaningful difference in the lives of those they serve.
Volunteering brings people together for a common cause and provides a true opportunity to make a difference. Volunteering is fun and rewarding, and it offers volunteers at Jennie Edmundson the opportunity to meet new people, learn new skills and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. All of our volunteers receive formal and informal recognition.
Adult volunteers at Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital find their efforts to be fulfilling. They experience benefits that include:
- Creating a rewarding experience for themselves, patients and families
- Developing new skills and interests
- Keeping skills current
- Serving others and meeting new people
Placement depends on your skills, interests and our current opportunities. Caring adults are needed to be of service as Methodist Jennie Edmundson volunteers. Some of the areas we utilize our adult volunteers include:
The Teen Volunteer Program at Jennie Edmundson is for students between the ages of 14 and 18. The Hospital Auxiliary, in cooperation with hospital staff, sponsors this program.
We are looking for responsible volunteers who:
- Are kind and considerate
- Display a neat appearance and pleasant attitude
- Have a strong desire to help people
- Have moral integrity
- Take direction well and follow through
- Maintain at least a 2.5 GPA in school
- Develop leadership skills
- Experience the rewards of helping
- Availability of college scholarships
- Excellent reference on college applications
- Form lasting friendships with teens across the area
Steps to Becoming a Teen Volunteer
- Attend a recruitment session to learn more about our program. Recruitment sessions are held four times each year. During these sessions, you will have the opportunity to visit with current Teen Volunteers to learn more about their roles.
- Attend a four-hour orientation session where you will learn the responsibilities of being a Teen Volunteer. Orientation is held once monthly after recruitment sessions and is mandatory. Lunch is provided.
- Begin a 16-hour training period in which you will learn the tasks that Teen Volunteers perform. Following the training period, evaluations are given. Upon passing the evaluation, you are accepted as a Teen Volunteer and receive your Methodist Jennie Edmundson Hospital Teen Volunteer polo.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer phones and direct visitors
- Assist and visit with patients
- Escort patients to various hospital locations
- Run errands and assist nursing staff
- Work at the Information Desk
Saturday and Sunday evenings, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Saturday mornings, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.