For COVID-19 and vaccination updates, view our information for the community. If you're experiencing symptoms, call your primary care provider.

Decorative dot pattern background image.
Decorative blue shape background image. Decorative blue shape background image. Decorative blue shape background image. Decorative blue shape background image.

History

The original Fremont Hospital was built in 1897 and was located at the corner of Fourth and Broad. It moved to multiple locations before calling 23rd & Clarkson home in 1940. That facility opened with 50 beds and by 1956, bed capacity grew to 120.

Today, Methodist Fremont Health includes:

  • Methodist Fremont Health Medical Center
  • Dunklau Gardens
  • Physician and specialty clinics
Exterior shot of Fremont Hospital circa 1940
The original Methodist Fremont Health building circa 1940

Methodist Fremont Health, in its current location at 450 East 23rd, was chartered in 1940 and was one of the only hospitals in Northeastern Nebraska. Then known as Dodge County Hospital, it had 50 beds and received its first patient on May 23, 1940.

Aerial shot of the Fremont Hospital campus circa 1953
An aerial view of the Methodist Fremont Health campus circa 1953

 

Methodist Fremont Health names throughout the years

1940: Dodge County Hospital

1945: Dodge County Community Hospital

1971: Memorial Hospital of Dodge County

1996: Fremont Area Medical Center

2014: Fremont Health (Medical Center)

2018: Methodist Fremont Health

A brief history of Methodist Fremont Health

1940: Dodge County Hospital opens its doors

1945: The hospital becomes Dodge County Community Hospital

1947: An expansion results in the new North Wing

1960: The long-term care unit, known as the Chronic Disease Annex, is opened (now known as Dunklau Gardens)

1964: The hospital achieves Joint Commission accreditation

1971: The hospital becomes Memorial Hospital of Dodge County

1972: Extensive renovations begin that include a six-story tower and two new floors

1976: Pathfinder Hotel explosion in Fremont.  18 were killed.  50 injured patients were brought to the hospital
Hospital Foundation is established

1981: 5th floor is completed, adding 30 beds

1988: Outpatient Surgery area doubles in size

1990: 50th Anniversary of the hospital

1991: Addition of 46 private rooms added to the long-term care unit, which was officially renamed A. J. Merrick Manor, after Dr. A. J. Merrick, a Fremont physician (now known as Dunklau Gardens)

1996: The Rehabilitation Center undergoes a $2.5 million renovation
The hospital becomes Fremont Area Medical Center
The Medical Center achieves accreditation as a Community Hospital Cancer Center

1997: Renovation occurs on the first floor with the relocation of Patient Accounts and the expansion of Cancer Services

1998: Construction/remodeling continues with plans for the redesign of the front lobby and the surgical areas to be completed by the year 2000

2000: Medical Center becomes one of the first hospitals in the state to offer newborn hearing screening tests

2002: The Medical Center is one of the first hospitals in eastern Nebraska to begin offering the BNP blood test to assist physicians in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure
Medical Center is actively involved in the coordination/formation and a member of the Three Rivers District Health Department board

2003: A 12,500-square-foot Emergency Department is added

2004: Medical Center receives the state Edgerton Quality Award, Progress level (1 of only 3 hospitals in the state at this level)
Medical Center becomes the first community hospital and one of only 4 hospitals in the state to offer robotic-assisted technology in surgery2007:  The Medical Center and campus goes tobacco free

2008: The Imaging Center opens

2009: The East Campus is renovated and a medical office building is added

2012: Fremont Surgical Group and Healthcare for Women join the Medical Center

2013: Fremont Medical Associates – Internal Medicine joins the Medical Center
The Medical Center introduces Fremont Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
The Building a Healthy Future project is launched

2014: Medical Center acquires the Fremont Surgical Center
The Medical Center becomes Fremont Health

2018: Fremont Health partners with Methodist Health System to become Methodist Fremont Health